Monday, December 3, 2012

Hard Night

I spent the day thinking about drinking at work, only to come home to a sick husband and toddler. Yay me. After dinner, I sent hubby to bed. If he felt half as bad as he looked, he needed to be quarantined. That left me up with an equally ill toddler. With all the coughing and sneezing, she could star in her own NyQuil commercial. Of course, this also means she's clingy...a suction cup couldn't get much closer.

There goes my plan of being productive tonight. I was supposed to make five freezer meals and finish up our Christmas wreath. Instead, I'm anchored to the rocking chair with a whiny, needy little one. And as much as I love being needed and the forced closeness with my usually independent little girl, it's hard to relax during these moments. My mind races. I stress about finances, work, my marriage, the upcoming holidays, my messy house, the dirty laundry, my volunteer commitments, and then I start thinking that a drink would be really good right now.

In my mind, I had already gotten up, walked to the fridge and grabbed one of hubby's beers before I even realized I was fantasizing about drinking. Knowing beer isn't my trigger, I thought for a moment that it wouldn't hurt to have just one. But then I stopped. A drink tonight means I can't even last five days without a drink. I'm not ready to throw in the towel so soon.

So I put in a movie to entertain the little one, fired up the laptop and decided to read some "drunk mommy" blogs and post here. It's working so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment