Sunday, December 2, 2012

A Weekend Without Booze

I've survived by first weekend after deciding I might have a drinking problem. Funny, a few months ago, I would have told you that I didn't have a problem. I think the fact that I'm counting each day I go without wine just might be a good indicator that I have more than a problem.

Had date night with the hubby last night, usually a great time for me to acceptably have a couple of glasses of wine. We're total opposites. I prefer to drink at home because I hate paying $6 for a glass of wine in the restaurant that sells by the bottle for $10 in stores. He would rather drink in restaurants and bars because for him, it's part of the overall entertaining experience. There is no "experience" at home so why bother? Of course, the other difference is when we go out, he has ONE drink. I have THREE. Guess who's always driving?

I have yet to discuss my drinking with him, even after he caught me drunk before church last Saturday night. So when the topic of what do on our date came about, he suggested the usual: Go out for a drink or go out for dessert.

Our marriage has been rocky for awhile, partially because we don't devote much time to each other. So the purpose of last night's date was to work on our communication skills with one another. With that in mind, I suggested we go to the local bookstore cafe to chat. My reason? I was cold and really wanted hot tea.

We compromised and started with dinner at the location of our first date. He had beer; I had hot tea. Then we capped off the night at a cafe where he had a cappuchino and I had -- yup, more tea.

He said nothing about my beverage choices, but it was all I could think about it. Would he notice? Would he ask questions? How would I answer if he did?

Ultimately, the night was pleasant and I'm happy to say I remember it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment