Wednesday, December 5, 2012

First Battle Won

It's been one full week since my last drink. Tonight was my first real challenge: The office Christmas party . Work events are not usually drinking events for me. I have never considered the mix of alcohol and colleagues to be a smart cocktail. Still, I can typically manuever around one with a glass of wine in hand that never drops below the halfway mark.

Tonight was different. For the last week, everyone has been abuzz abou the food, the beer and the wine. When I decided to take a break from alcohol last week, I had intended to have wine at this party. But the farther I get from that last drink, the more I realize the scope of my problem. So I decided yesterday that I wasn't drinking tonight. Even went so far as to tell a few coworkers that the food sounded so good that I was diverting my wine calories so I could eat more.

Tonight wasn't awful but the wine beckoned me. I was offered a drink every 15 minutes or so. I managed to stay close to a full glass of water for the night. And aside from eating way too much, I survived.

No comments:

Post a Comment